How To Create A Personal Growth Self Improvement Plan For Your Life
(Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. For more information about this please read the Affiliate Disclosure.)
Updated: January 27, 2018
A plan for personal growth and self-improvement is your blueprint for how you want your life to change for the better.
It includes your goals, dreams and aspirations.
In addition to detailing your goals, it lists strategies, timelines and resources that you will use to achieve them.
It goes without saying that if you have no established plan or direction for life, you'll find yourself at the mercy of circumstance.
That could turn out okay.
However, it's more likely as time passes and you grow older, you'll discover that you're not where you wanted to be in life, and you've wasted precious time.
And in the end, you'll not have lived your life in the way you would have wished.
Fortunately, it's never too late to change course, put yourself on a new path and begin to live a life that's fulfilling and meaningful to you.
By creating a plan for your personal growth and self-improvement based on what you want for yourself and the way in which you desire to live, you can make the most of the time you have.
You can steer your life in a new direction.
Importance of a plan for Personal Growth and Self-Improvement
If you change, your life will change regardless of your circumstance.
It's really that simple.
Not necessarily easy, but simple.
Change comes in the form of personal growth and self-improvement.
Knowing that you want to get from point A to point B, and developing a plan specifically to undertake that task, will help you to rally the energy and resources you need to achieve your goals.
In addition, a plan for personal growth and self-improvement offers the following benefits:
- It helps you to specifically pinpoint your goals; to determine what it is you want.
- It helps you to identify your strengths and weaknesses and determine how these can help or hinder you in your efforts to achieve your goals.
- It helps your odds of being successful. People who write down their goals and are actively involved in charting out the path they want to take tend to be significantly more successful than their peers who do not follow this process.
- It helps to make you more efficient. A personal growth plan can significantly save you time, effort and resources. It helps you to avoid committing resources to activities which do not bring you closer to your goal.
- Your dream life does not just happen. Ideal careers, good marriages, successful investment portfolios, beautiful homes and many other aspects of a successful life do not just fall into your lap. A personal growth self-improvement plan helps you to identify exactly what it is that you want to achieve and explore. It helps you to identify and select the best strategies for reaching your goals. And, it aids in determining resources you will need to commit in order to achieve your objectives.
Creating a Personal Growth Self Improvement Plan for Your Life
Creating an effective plan for personal growth and self-improvement is essential to achieving the goals you have set for yourself. Below are a few important steps to follow when deciding on a blueprint for your life:
1. Define your goals: Determine which goals are most important for you to achieve.
Since it's very likely you have limited time and/or resources, you'll have to prioritize goals before you can set in motion the activities that will help you to achieve them.
For instance, if you work for a living, do you want to advance to a higher level in your chosen career?
Do you want to make a change to a different, more profitable, or more meaningful career?
Do you desire to step away from what has already been a long or successful career? Are you interested in retirement? Does owning your own business, or performing volunteer or service work appeal to you?
If you've raised a family and your children have grown up and moved on to college or beyond, do you want to live in a different environment, downsize your home, or move to a different city or state or country?
Define exactly what it is that you want at this stage of life.
Make it the foundation for creating an effective personal growth and self-improvement plan.
2. Prioritize your goals: Of all the goals you have listed in the previous step, determine which is most important and direct the necessary energies and resources toward your various goals according to the weight of their significance.
This may mean for instance, going back to school for an advanced degree so that you can get that promotion at work before working toward achievement of your next goal.
3. Determine the timelines: Timelines and deadlines help you to avoid procrastination or inaction and ensure that you achieve your goals within the most efficient time possible.
For example, you don't want to be the person that delays seeking additional schooling or training needed to progress to the level you desire, only to find younger and better educated, but less experienced, workers in your organization moving faster up the ladder than are you.
4. Take stock of your skills and resources: Find out what you have in terms of financial, time and other resources to determine whether you can begin working on your goals immediately or whether you may need to build up your resources or make other adjustments first.
Additionally, this is the point to take stock of your skills and talents. You can then determine whether you're able to tackle your goals now or if you'll require additional skills.
5. Take Action: After considering your situation, making your assessments and arriving at your decisions, put everything together in a comprehensive plan that details your goals in order of priority, a specific timeline for you to achieve them, and the strategies you will use and resources and skills that you will apply to ensure you reach your destination.
Then put that plan into action!
A personal growth self-improvement plan is essential for anyone serious about living the life of their dreams.
It will help you to focus your energies. It also helps you to better manage your available resources and prompts you to build necessary skills.
Ultimately, it helps you move from an undesirable state to one where you're working your dream job, living in your dream space, and achieving the goals you've set for yourself.
Was this post helpful to you? Let me know in the comments. If so, please think about who you know that needs to read this and would be encouraged and benefit from this information in their personal journey. Then share this message with them. Thanks!
Kimberly Clay is the founder and creative force behind What She Say. She’s a business professional, writer and editor who’s been creating and managing digital content for nearly twenty years. Her work is now focused in the areas of self-improvement and personal development, and she is passionate about helping other individuals, especially women, to find a path for living their best life.